History of the manor
Anjala manor was built around 1620s. It was one of the main manors of the noble Wrede family. The old main building was burned by Russian troops in 1789, during the Gustavian war. The village of Anjala was in the focus during the three years the war lasted. Anjala was situated in the borderline between Russia and Sweden.
The new main building was finished in the turn of 18th and 19th centuries and it belonged to Wrede family until 1837. The manor represents early neoclassical style and was opened as a museum after its restoration in 1957. Since then it has introduced 18th and 19th century mansion life to people visiting the manor. The manor museum was transferred to the management of the National Board of Antiquities in the 1990s.
The National Board of Antiquities handed the estate over to Senate Properties in 2014 and collected the furniture of the manor into their collection. Anjala manor was open to the public in the summer of 2015 and 2016 on behalf of Ankkapurha Culture Foundation. There were exhibitions about the history of Anjala and its significance as a historical and cultural venue as well as exhibitions about Mathilda Wrede and the Gustavian war. In the end of 2017 a local foundation, Regina Foundation, purchased the manor and rented the manor and its surroundings to Ankkapurha Culture Foundation. Ankkapurha Culture Foundation will develop culture based tourism in the area during the upcoming years. A new era of Anjala manor has begun!